terminal command to list directory structure with permissions

terminal command to list directory structure with permissions

Subject pretty much says it all, I am looking for a Terminal command that would list the entire directory structure (folders, not files) showing path and permissions.

Like an ls -l but including full path and sub directories.

Can anyone help me?

thanx

Re: terminal command to list directory structure with permissions

From wherever you want to start your listing:

find . -type d -exec ls -ld {} \;

or

find / -type d -exec ls -ld {} \;

to list the structure form the root level.

Ian

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 12:56 PM, OS X Server Mail List
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Subject pretty much says it all, I am looking for a Terminal command that would list the entire directory structure (folders, not files) showing path and permissions.
>
> Like an ls -l but including full path and sub directories.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> thanx

Ian Kaufman
Research Systems Administrator
UC San Diego, Jacobs School of Engineering ikaufman AT ucsd DOT edu

On 2015-10-23 15:56, OS X Server Mail List wrote:
> Subject pretty much says it all, I am looking for a Terminal command that would list the entire directory structure (folders, not files) showing path and permissions.
>
> Like an ls -l but including full path and sub directories.
The following command will hopefully do what you want:

find . -type d -ls

You can also replace "." above with the path to the top of the directory
structure.  Run "man find" for more information about what the command
above does.

--
   Mark Montague

On 23 Oct 2015, at 8:56pm, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Like an ls -l but including full path and sub directories.

ls -lR

for further help with a Unix command type

man <command>

e.g. for help with the ‘ls’ command type

man ls

use the space key to scroll down a page and ‘q’ to quit.

Simon

Is it safe to delete a deleted users dovecot email mailbox?

I have an active mail server running on OS X server 4.1.3. I have a couple of problems that are concerning.

1) I deleted a user with a lot of email using server.app The user is gone now but the email folders in /Library/Server/Mail/Data/mail/users/username are still there. I expected server.app to clean things up. The reason I need to do this is to get some disk space back. The user concerned is no longer with the organisation concerned and had a lot of email.

Can I just 'sudo rm -rf /Library/Server/Mail/Data/mail/users/username and be done with it?

2) My /tmp is also filling up with odd files with names like uid=2371&where=body&rand=fcd7a8d041305ad6 owned by _dovecot

I'd like to understand what they are but I would also like to delete them. dovecot has the variable mail_temp_dir set to /tmp.

It is a mystery to me where to fine adequate documentation on OS X Server and mail. Help and pointers welcome.

Angus
PS posted in apple discussions https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7315523

Re: Is it safe to delete a deleted users dovecot email mailbox?

This is an automatic reply.

I’m out of the office for Tuesday, November 3rd to Wednesday, November 4th.  If you require immediate assistance, please contact the school board
office at 250-442-8258.

Thanks,

Nathan

Re: Is it safe to delete a deleted users dovecot email mailbox?

Replies inline.

> On Nov 3, 2015, at 5:31 AM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have an active mail server running on OS X server 4.1.3. I have a couple of problems that are concerning.
>
> 1) I deleted a user with a lot of email using server.app The user is gone now but the email folders in /Library/Server/Mail/Data/mail/users/username are still there. I expected server.app to clean things up. The reason I need to do this is to get some disk space back. The user concerned is no longer with the organisation concerned and had a lot of email.
>
> Can I just 'sudo rm -rf /Library/Server/Mail/Data/mail/users/username and be done with it?

Indeed. Also, this could be classified as a feature rather than a bug.

> 2) My /tmp is also filling up with odd files with names like uid=2371&where=body&rand=fcd7a8d041305ad6 owned by _dovecot

Check the timestamps on the file.  *Probably* OK to delete. I've not seen files like that on my systems with Dovecot however.

> I'd like to understand what they are but I would also like to delete them. dovecot has the variable mail_temp_dir set to /tmp.
>
> It is a mystery to me where to fine adequate documentation on OS X Server and mail. Help and pointers welcome.

Guess it depends on how you define adequate.  There's plenty of documentation for postfix and dovecot - which is usually sufficient - and notably less documentation on Apple's implementation of them. Mostly I've found their implementation unobtrusive.

Michael