softwareupdate runaway

Has anyone else been having issues with the softwareupdate process
running away with the processor on their machines?  The process shows up
as the following when this happens:

softwareupdate -q -l -f /private/var/run/SoftwareUpdateStatus.plist

I kill the process and that takes care of it, but it comes back
intermittently.  Any idea on how to stop it once and for all?  I do have
automatic updates disabled in System Preferences.

Thanks for any assistance!

        - John

Re: softwareupdate runaway

> Has anyone else been having issues with the softwareupdate process
> running away with the processor on their machines?  The process shows up
> as the following when this happens:
>
> softwareupdate -q -l -f /private/var/run/SoftwareUpdateStatus.plist
>
> I kill the process and that takes care of it, but it comes back
> intermittently.  Any idea on how to stop it once and for all?  I do have
> automatic updates disabled in System Preferences.

They were trying something new ... applying an update to fix a critsit
with NTPd, as I understand it, and ... forcing the install of the update.

I have noticed that since this occurred, my Energy Saver settings are not
turning off the screen any more. Curious.

Aloha mai Nai`a.
--
" So this is how Liberty dies ...          http://kapu.net/~mjwise/
" To Thunderous Applause.

Re: softwareupdate runaway

On 12/23/14 2:41 PM, OS X Server Mail List wrote:

>> Has anyone else been having issues with the softwareupdate process
>> running away with the processor on their machines?  The process shows up
>> as the following when this happens:
>>
>> softwareupdate -q -l -f /private/var/run/SoftwareUpdateStatus.plist
>>
>> I kill the process and that takes care of it, but it comes back
>> intermittently.  Any idea on how to stop it once and for all?  I do have
>> automatic updates disabled in System Preferences.
>
> They were trying something new ... applying an update to fix a critsit
> with NTPd, as I understand it, and ... forcing the install of the update.
>
> I have noticed that since this occurred, my Energy Saver settings are not
> turning off the screen any more. Curious.
>
> Aloha mai Nai`a.

It's still running away on machines that I've applied the NTP update to.
  Is there any way to keep this from happening?  Can I just rename the
/usr/sbin/softwareupdate app?  Other solutions?

        - John

Re: softwareupdate runaway

Do you have any virus protection software installed?

I have had issues in the past and had to add some software update catalog files to the antivirus exclusion list.

Thanks
-Gary
[Please excuse any typos. Sent from an iOS device.]

> On Dec 23, 2014, at 4:54 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 12/23/14 2:41 PM, OS X Server Mail List wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone else been having issues with the softwareupdate process
>>> running away with the processor on their machines?  The process shows up
>>> as the following when this happens:
>>>
>>> softwareupdate -q -l -f /private/var/run/SoftwareUpdateStatus.plist
>>>
>>> I kill the process and that takes care of it, but it comes back
>>> intermittently.  Any idea on how to stop it once and for all?  I do have
>>> automatic updates disabled in System Preferences.
>>
>> They were trying something new ... applying an update to fix a critsit
>> with NTPd, as I understand it, and ... forcing the install of the update.
>>
>> I have noticed that since this occurred, my Energy Saver settings are not
>> turning off the screen any more. Curious.
>>
>> Aloha mai Nai`a.
>

> It's still running away on machines that I've applied the NTP update to.  Is there any way to keep this from happening?  Can I just rename the /usr/sbin/softwareupdate app?  Other solutions?
>
>    - John

Re: softwareupdate runaway

Nope, no antivirus software.

        - John

On 12/23/14 5:02 PM, OS X Server Mail List wrote:

> Do you have any virus protection software installed?
>
> I have had issues in the past and had to add some software update
> catalog files to the antivirus exclusion list.
>
> Thanks -Gary [Please excuse any typos. Sent from an iOS device.]
>

>> On Dec 23, 2014, at 4:54 PM, OS X Server Mail List
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> They were trying something new ... applying an update to fix a
>>> critsit with NTPd, as I understand it, and ... forcing the
>>> install of the update.
>>>
>>> I have noticed that since this occurred, my Energy Saver settings
>>> are not turning off the screen any more. Curious.
>>>
>>> Aloha mai Nai`a.
>>

>> It's still running away on machines that I've applied the NTP
>> update to.  Is there any way to keep this from happening?  Can I
>> just rename the /usr/sbin/softwareupdate app?  Other solutions?
>>
>> - John

Re: softwareupdate runaway

On 12/23/14 4:54 PM, John May wrote:

> On 12/23/14 2:41 PM, OS X Server Mail List wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone else been having issues with the softwareupdate process
>>> running away with the processor on their machines?  The process shows up
>>> as the following when this happens:
>>>
>>> softwareupdate -q -l -f /private/var/run/SoftwareUpdateStatus.plist
>>>
>>> I kill the process and that takes care of it, but it comes back
>>> intermittently.  Any idea on how to stop it once and for all?  I do have
>>> automatic updates disabled in System Preferences.
>>
>> They were trying something new ... applying an update to fix a critsit
>> with NTPd, as I understand it, and ... forcing the install of the update.
>>
>> I have noticed that since this occurred, my Energy Saver settings are not
>> turning off the screen any more. Curious.
>>
>> Aloha mai Nai`a.
>>

> It's still running away on machines that I've applied the NTP update to.
>   Is there any way to keep this from happening?  Can I just rename the
> /usr/sbin/softwareupdate app?  Other solutions?
>
>      - John

After thinking about it further, I don't think the NTPd update is the
issue here.  This problem has been happening since at least December
16th, maybe even as far back as November 23rd.  Additionally, it is
happening on 10.6 machines as well, which shouldn't be receiving said
update.

Other ideas?

        - John