mod_rewrite on El Capitan Server

I'm moving from a lion server to el capitan.

On Lion I have a mod_rewrite like this to redirect all traffic to a
certain domain to the same computer but at another port number.  This
allows it to hit a database.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://127.0.0.1:18080/$1 [P,L]

It works perfectly on Lion but on El Capitan it doesn't.

Regards,

Wayne

Wayne Stewart
about.me/waynestewart

Re: mod_rewrite on El Capitan Server

> Le 1 mars 2016 à 00:55, OS X Server Mail List a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm moving from a lion server to el capitan.
>
> On Lion I have a mod_rewrite like this to redirect all traffic to a
> certain domain to the same computer but at another port number.  This
> allows it to hit a database.
>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://127.0.0.1:18080/$1 [P,L]
>
> It works perfectly on Lion but on El Capitan it doesn’t.

Hello Wayne,

A preliminary thought: this is a jump from Apache 2.2.x to Apache 2.4.x, with changes that may require some config rewrites (hints are provided at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/upgrading.html).

That said, your problem description is quite terse. ;-)
In what sense doesn’t it work?

Regards,
Axel

Re: mod_rewrite on El Capitan Server

Did you re-enable the mod_rewrite module post-upgrade?
Anything in the error log?

> Le 1 mars 2016 à 00:55, OS X Server Mail List a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm moving from a lion server to el capitan.
>
> On Lion I have a mod_rewrite like this to redirect all traffic to a
> certain domain to the same computer but at another port number.  This
> allows it to hit a database.
>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://127.0.0.1:18080/$1 [P,L]
>
> It works perfectly on Lion but on El Capitan it doesn’t.

Hello Wayne,

A preliminary thought: this is a jump from Apache 2.2.x to Apache 2.4.x, with changes that may require some config rewrites (hints are provided at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/upgrading.html).

That said, your problem description is quite terse. ;-)
In what sense doesn’t it work?

Regards,
Axel

Re: mod_rewrite on El Capitan Server

Your message doesn't provide much detail. So, it's hard to respond in detail.

Do you have the Wiki Services and/or Profile manager enabled? There's a weird thing in El Capitan where ServerAlias and types of redirects don't work as expected unless the websites are on a separate IP than the Wiki and Profile Manager. Try turning those off and see if the redirect starts to work.

Jaime

> On Feb 29, 2016, at 6:55 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm moving from a lion server to el capitan.
>
> On Lion I have a mod_rewrite like this to redirect all traffic to a
> certain domain to the same computer but at another port number.  This
> allows it to hit a database.
>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://127.0.0.1:18080/$1 [P,L]
>
> It works perfectly on Lion but on El Capitan it doesn't.
>
> Regards,
>
> Wayne
>

> Wayne Stewart
> about.me/waynestewart

RE: mod_rewrite on El Capitan Server

> Hi,
>
> I'm moving from a lion server to el capitan.
>
> On Lion I have a mod_rewrite like this to redirect all traffic to a
> certain domain to the same computer but at another port number.  This
> allows it to hit a database.
>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://127.0.0.1:18080/$1 <http://127.0.0.1:18080/$1> [P,L]
>
> It works perfectly on Lion but on El Capitan it doesn't.

Wayne,

You may want to take a look at the Reverse Proxy Tutorial at the RAIS page:  http://rais.precursor.ca <http://rais.precursor.ca/>
You will find it under the Tutorials section.

This offers a method (reverse proxy web apps) for what you want to achieve that uses Apple’s guidelines for web apps, survives os upgrades, and works with El Cap.

Sincerely,

Alex Narvey

--
Precursor Systems