mod_auth_apple: ... User not found by checkpw

mod_auth_apple: ... User not found by checkpw

Richard Hartman
I have a snow leopard server (10.6.8) set up to run a simple website serving a handful of offsite users, mostly abroad. I use Apache's most basic authentication mechanism (Apache 2.2).

Everything works well, but the apache error logs catch an annoying message every time a user triggers a cgi on a web page; here is a typical (anonymized) example:

...[error]... mod_auth_apple: User tom: authentication failure for "/HTTPLogin.html": User not found by checkpw, referer: http://mysite.com/Nav.html.

I do not use the apple server tools for this simple site; I just edit config files by hand as necessary.

The httpd.conf file is set up to use apple's auth defaults:

        LoadModule apple_auth_module libexec/apache2/mod_auth_apple.so

My thought was that replacing this with

        LoadModule auth_basic_module libexec/apache2/mod_auth_basic.so

might fix the errors. Suffice to say, it creates a different class of deal-breaking error instead.

This is purely an annoyance; I can live with apache's error logging, but surely there is a way to fix this? Google has not been helpful so far. My guess is that using apple_auth_module somehow tangles me with apple server's user space, which I don't use.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rich

Re: mod_auth_apple: ... User not found by checkpw

Angus Fox (Multizone)

On 13 Oct 2013, at 01:24, Richard Hartman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>I have a snow leopard server (10.6.8) set up to run a simple website serving a handful of offsite users, mostly abroad. I use Apache's most basic authentication mechanism (Apache 2.2).
>Everything works well, but the apache error logs catch an annoying message every time a user triggers a cgi on a web page; here is a typical (anonymized) example:

>...[error]... mod_auth_apple: User tom: authentication failure for "/HTTPLogin.html": User not found by checkpw, referer: http://mysite.com/Nav.html.

Have you tried turning on 'allow all overrides' in Server Admin?
(Remembering that this will potentially kill your hand edits which you may have to replace).

Angus