com.apple.launchd (org.postfix.master)

Mads - Videbæk Bogtrykkeri A/S
Hi'

Is getting a lot of thees in my systemlog:

Feb 10 14:51:41 dexter postfix/master[32147]: fatal: bind 0.0.0.0 port 25: Address already in use
Feb 10 14:51:42 dexter com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master[32147]): Exited with exit code: 1
Feb 10 14:51:42 dexter com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master): Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds

OSX Server 10.6.2 on Xserve - OpenDir, with Kerio running mail.

Can't find the process that try to start the postfix.

:: mads daniel

Re: com.apple.launchd (org.postfix.master)

David Haines-2

On Feb 10, 2010, at 8:55 AM, Mads - Videbæk Bogtrykker A/S wrote:

> Hi'
>
> Is getting a lot of thees in my systemlog:
>
> Feb 10 14:51:41 dexter postfix/master[32147]: fatal: bind 0.0.0.0 port 25: Address already in use
> Feb 10 14:51:42 dexter com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master[32147]): Exited with exit code: 1
> Feb 10 14:51:42 dexter com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master): Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds
>
> OSX Server 10.6.2 on Xserve - OpenDir, with Kerio running mail.
>
> Can't find the process that try to start the postfix.

It's there in the log message ;)

org.postfix.master

I believe Kerio uses its own instance of Postfix.

To stop the Apple-provided Postfix, you'd use:

sudo launchctl unload org.postfix.master.plist _______________________________________________
http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/macos-x-server/lists%40nabble.com

Re: com.apple.launchd (org.postfix.master)

Kevin Davidson

On 10 Feb 2010, at 13:55, Mads - Videbæk Bogtrykker A/S <[hidden email]
k> wrote:

> OSX Server 10.6.2 on Xserve - OpenDir, with Kerio running mail.

You still have Apple's Mail Service running. Turn it off with Server
Admin or "launchctl -w unload org.postfix.master"
While you're at it you can probably turn off the ClamAV update as well
(Kerio has its own and/or McAfee)

--
Kevin Davidson
Apple Certified System Administrator

indigospring :Making Sense of IT
w http://www.indigospring.co.uk/
t 0870 745 4001 _______________________________________________
http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/macos-x-server/lists%40nabble.com

Re: com.apple.launchd (org.postfix.master)

David Colville

On 11/02/2010, at 1:35 AM, Kevin Davidson wrote:

> On 10 Feb 2010, at 13:55, Mads - Videbæk Bogtrykker A/S <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
>> OSX Server 10.6.2 on Xserve - OpenDir, with Kerio running mail.
>
> You still have Apple's Mail Service running. Turn it off with Server
> Admin or "launchctl -w unload org.postfix.master"
> While you're at it you can probably turn off the ClamAV update as
> well (Kerio has its own and/or McAfee)

Kerio will still use ClamAV - from the OS - so clamd is important
here, but definitely disable postfix.

and just to be clear:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/
org.postfix.master.plist

will unload postfix.

David Colville
Technical Director
Key Options Technology Pty Ltd
Suite 108/250 Pitt St, Sydney NSW 2000
E: [hidden email] T:  1300 721 769 - F:  +61 2 9475 0837 - M:
+61 412 200 855
iChat: [hidden email]
Apple Certified Media Administrator
Apple Certified System Administrator 10.5
Apple Certified Technical Co-ordinator 10.6
Apple Certified Trainer

Re: com.apple.launchd (org.postfix.master)

Scott Haneda-3
On Feb 10, 2010, at 6:33 AM, David Haines wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2010, at 8:55 AM, Mads - Videbæk Bogtrykker A/S wrote:
>
>> Hi'
>>
>> Is getting a lot of thees in my systemlog:
>>
>> Feb 10 14:51:41 dexter postfix/master[32147]: fatal: bind 0.0.0.0 port 25: Address already in use
>> Feb 10 14:51:42 dexter com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master[32147]): Exited with exit code: 1
>> Feb 10 14:51:42 dexter com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master): Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds
>>
>> OSX Server 10.6.2 on Xserve - OpenDir, with Kerio running mail.
>>
>> Can't find the process that try to start the postfix.
>
> It's there in the log message ;)
>
> org.postfix.master
>
> I believe Kerio uses its own instance of Postfix.
>
> To stop the Apple-provided Postfix, you'd use:
>
> sudo launchctl unload org.postfix.master.plist

As the other people on this list pointed out, but since this was the first reply... Do make sure to use the -w flag, or it will just start back up again after a reboot.

"sudo launchctl -w unload org.postfix.master.plist"
You probably will want to be in the directory of that plist, which I believe is /System/Library/LaunchDaemons

On Feb 10, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2010, at 6:33 AM, David Haines wrote:
>
>> On Feb 10, 2010, at 8:55 AM, Mads - Videbæk Bogtrykker A/S wrote:
>>
>>> Hi'
>>>
>>> Is getting a lot of thees in my systemlog:
>>>
>>> Feb 10 14:51:41 dexter postfix/master[32147]: fatal: bind 0.0.0.0 port 25: Address already in use
>>> Feb 10 14:51:42 dexter com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master[32147]): Exited with exit code: 1
>>> Feb 10 14:51:42 dexter com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master): Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds
>>>
>>> OSX Server 10.6.2 on Xserve - OpenDir, with Kerio running mail.
>>>
>>> Can't find the process that try to start the postfix.
>>
>> It's there in the log message ;)
>>
>> org.postfix.master
>>
>> I believe Kerio uses its own instance of Postfix.
>>
>> To stop the Apple-provided Postfix, you'd use:
>>
>> sudo launchctl unload org.postfix.master.plist
>
> As the other people on this list pointed out, but since this was the first reply... Do make sure to use the -w flag, or it will just start back up again after a reboot.
>
> "sudo launchctl -w unload org.postfix.master.plist"
> You probably will want to be in the directory of that plist, which I believe is /System/Library/LaunchDaemons

Well, absent many other details (from the OP), I guess I didn't want to suggest anything permanent.

But I'd like to think that Kerio would raise some big red flag(s) on install or when running about OS X (Server) Mail (namely, Postfix) already running.

As for unloading the plist, you can call it by its full path as noted, that's standard - either via full path or by name if you happen to be in (cd to) the path of the plist in question

On 10 Feb 2010, at 19:23, David Haines <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But I'd like to think that Kerio would raise some big red flag(s) on
> install or when running about OS X (Server) Mail (namely, Postfix)
> already running.

No, it doesn't. You might be perverse enough to want to run both on
non standard ports or on different IP addresses.

Other services that will likely collide are: http, https, ldap. You
will need to decide which ones to move or disable.

--
Kevin Davidson
Apple Certified System Administrator
Sent from my iPhone

indigospring :Making Sense of IT
w http://www.indigospring.co.uk/
t 0870 745 4001

Re: com.apple.launchd (org.postfix.master)

Dave Pooser-6
> But I'd like to think that Kerio would raise some big red flag(s) on install
> or when running about OS X (Server) Mail (namely, Postfix) already running.

The postfix launchdaemon remains running even when OS X Server's mail has
been turned off in Server Admin, because it's used for internal email. I've
been complaining about this "feature" since I first tripped over it in 2006.
--
Dave Pooser, ACSA
Manager of Information Services

Re: com.apple.launchd (org.postfix.master)

Anita Holmgren
At 4:52 PM -0600 2/10/10, Dave Pooser wrote:
>  > But I'd like to think that Kerio would raise some big red flag(s)
>on install
>>  or when running about OS X (Server) Mail (namely, Postfix) already running.
>
>The postfix launchdaemon remains running even when OS X Server's mail has
>been turned off in Server Admin, because it's used for internal email. I've
>been complaining about this "feature" since I first tripped over it in 2006.

What do you mean by "internal mail"..supporting scripts that use
sendmail?  We've been repeatedly turning off Postfix for our
Post.Office customers, including getting rid of the postfix
launchdaemon with no ill effects.  Since Post.Office supports scripts
that require sendmail, our customers don't really need Postfix.  I
agree it's a problem. Sometimes an OS upgrade reinstates
org.postfix.master.

-Anita

--
Tenon Intersystems                                       805-963-6983
232 Anacapa Street, #2A                               [hidden email]

Re: com.apple.launchd (org.postfix.master)

Dave Pooser-6
> What do you mean by "internal mail"..supporting scripts that use
> sendmail?

Exactly.

> We've been repeatedly turning off Postfix for our
> Post.Office customers, including getting rid of the postfix
> launchdaemon with no ill effects.

Yeah, as long as you're installing an alternate SMTP server there's no need
for postfix, but you still have to go through Terminal contortions to kill
it dead.

My own thought is that Server Admin should reflect the status on the
Overview tab; something like Internal SMTP: Enabled
And then some explanatory text below:
Internal SMTP lets the server generate its own emails for notifications and
reports. It should only be disabled if you are installing a third-party SMTP
server. To disable this service, click here.
--
Dave Pooser, ACSA
Manager of Information Services
Alford Media  http://www.alfordmedia.com

Re: com.apple.launchd (org.postfix.master)

Mads - Videbæk Bogtrykkeri A/S
Thanks' you all - I will now try to disable the postfix... And i will agree that Kerio should give you the possibility to turn of the postfix when installing, because i can only see shat it should be :)

Kind regards

Mads Daniel