Xserve3,1 cpu upgrade...

Trying here, I know it's a long shot, but has anyone replaced the CPUs
in an Xserve3,1 with faster/6 core units? Any concerns about power/heat?

Thanks!

Farokh
MCF Software...simply dependably engineered
For all your computer and networking needs including hosting solutions
for every need.
Phone: 845-735-0210
Cell: 914-262-1594

Re: Xserve3,1 cpu upgrade...

I haven’t tried it personally, you might want to check this out, it at least looks possible:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=r8lots6oaisi1m9g0fp0djqj4269r2ce&topic=8660.0

-Isaac

On 4/6/15, 1:53 PM, "OS X Server Mail List" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Trying here, I know it's a long shot, but has anyone replaced the CPUs
>in an Xserve3,1 with faster/6 core units? Any concerns about power/heat?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Farokh
>MCF Software...simply dependably engineered
>For all your computer and networking needs including hosting solutions
>for every need.
>Phone: 845-735-0210
>Cell: 914-262-1594

>This email sent to [hidden email]

Re: Xserve3,1 cpu upgrade...

Interesting read. Didn't know that the EFI firmware could limit the
number of cores. I'll have to look into it further.

Thanks!

Farokh
MCF Software...simply dependably engineered
For all your computer and networking needs including hosting solutions
for every need.
Phone: 845-735-0210
Cell: 914-262-1594

> OS X Server Mail List <mailto:[hidden email]>
> April 6, 2015 at 14:07
> I haven’t tried it personally, you might want to check this out, it at
> least looks possible:
>

> http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=r8lots6oaisi1m9g0fp0djqj4269r2ce&topic=8660.0
>

> -Isaac

> OS X Server Mail List <mailto:[hidden email]>
> April 6, 2015 at 13:53
> Trying here, I know it's a long shot, but has anyone replaced the CPUs
> in an Xserve3,1 with faster/6 core units? Any concerns about power/heat?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Farokh
>
> MCF Software...simply dependably engineered
> For all your computer and networking needs including hosting solutions
> for every need.
> Phone: 845-735-0210
> Cell: 914-262-1594

Re: Xserve3,1 cpu upgrade...

FWIW: this only applies to OS X, if you’re running another (bootcamped) OS, you won’t see any core/clock limitations. I’ve still got a 1,1 Mac Pro with upgraded X5355s on Windows 8.1 since the 32bit EFI keeps the mac from being current for OS X use.

-Isaac

On 4/8/15, 9:08 AM, "OS X Server Mail List" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Interesting read. Didn't know that the EFI firmware could limit the
>number of cores. I'll have to look into it further.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Farokh
>MCF Software...simply dependably engineered
>For all your computer and networking needs including hosting solutions
>for every need.
>Phone: 845-735-0210
>Cell: 914-262-1594
>

>> OS X Server Mail List <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> April 6, 2015 at 14:07
>> I haven’t tried it personally, you might want to check this out, it at
>> least looks possible:
>>

>> http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=r8lots6oaisi1m9g0fp0djqj4269r2ce&topic=8660.0
>>

>> -Isaac

>> This email sent to [hidden email]
>> OS X Server Mail List <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> April 6, 2015 at 13:53
>> Trying here, I know it's a long shot, but has anyone replaced the CPUs
>> in an Xserve3,1 with faster/6 core units? Any concerns about power/heat?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Farokh
>>
>> MCF Software...simply dependably engineered
>> For all your computer and networking needs including hosting solutions
>> for every need.
>> Phone: 845-735-0210
>> Cell: 914-262-1594

>> This email sent to [hidden email]

>This email sent to [hidden email]

Re: Xserve3,1 cpu upgrade...

Hmm. Does that mean it won't affect me if I'm using ESXi?

Thanks!

Farokh
MCF Software...simply dependably engineered
For all your computer and networking needs including hosting solutions
for every need.
Phone: 845-735-0210
Cell: 914-262-1594

> OS X Server Mail List <mailto:[hidden email]>
> April 8, 2015 at 11:52
> FWIW: this only applies to OS X, if you’re running another
> (bootcamped) OS, you won’t see any core/clock limitations. I’ve still
> got a 1,1 Mac Pro with upgraded X5355s on Windows 8.1 since the 32bit
> EFI keeps the mac from being current for OS X use.
>

> -Isaac

> OS X Server Mail List <mailto:[hidden email]>
> April 8, 2015 at 09:08
> Interesting read. Didn't know that the EFI firmware could limit the
> number of cores. I'll have to look into it further.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Farokh
>
> MCF Software...simply dependably engineered
> For all your computer and networking needs including hosting solutions
> for every need.
> Phone: 845-735-0210
> Cell: 914-262-1594

> OS X Server Mail List <mailto:[hidden email]>
> April 6, 2015 at 14:07
> I haven’t tried it personally, you might want to check this out, it at
> least looks possible:
>

> http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=r8lots6oaisi1m9g0fp0djqj4269r2ce&topic=8660.0
>

> -Isaac

> OS X Server Mail List <mailto:[hidden email]>
> April 6, 2015 at 13:53
> Trying here, I know it's a long shot, but has anyone replaced the CPUs
> in an Xserve3,1 with faster/6 core units? Any concerns about power/heat?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Farokh
>
> MCF Software...simply dependably engineered
> For all your computer and networking needs including hosting solutions
> for every need.
> Phone: 845-735-0210
> Cell: 914-262-1594

Re: Xserve3,1 cpu upgrade...

>> OS X Server Mail List <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>> April 6, 2015 at 14:07
>> I haven’t tried it personally, you might want to check this out, it at least looks possible:
>>

>> http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=r8lots6oaisi1m9g0fp0djqj4269r2ce&topic=8660.0 <http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=r8lots6oaisi1m9g0fp0djqj4269r2ce&topic=8660.0>
> On Apr 8, 2015, at 6:08 AM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interesting read. Didn't know that the EFI firmware could limit the number of cores. I'll have to look into it further.

<snip>

        The method they are using there is a bit over-complicated, but I suspect that they are just changing the default for the “cpus” boot-arg to the kernel. There are actually a number of these boot-args that can change things like panic mode, set verbose boot, limit the memory the system sees, or limit the number of CPUs used. The normal ways of setting this are either to use the `nvram` command to set the “boot-args” NVRAM variable, or put it into `/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Boot.plist.

        This is all documented in `man com.apple.Boot.plist`. Apple hosts an online copy at:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man5/com.apple.Boot.plist.5.html <https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man5/com.apple.Boot.plist.5.html>

        And this is all dependent on the MacOS X kernel for actual implementation, so no this will not work for other OSs that you happen to run on the same hardware.

        Karl Kuehn