Xserve - force re-install of firmware

Tony Baker-2
I have an Intel (Late 2006) Xserve and a Xserve (2008) system

Both of which will now NOT boot from internal drives in the drive bays.

They WILL boot from an external firewire drive  -  using both 10.4.11 or 10.6.8 operating systems.

When booting and holding the "alt" key  -  Only a install DVD (if inserted) and the FireWire drive appear as bootable options.

When the Operating system has booted ALL drives are appearing in both "disk utility" and as a bootable option in "Startup disk"

I am only using Apple logo'd drives - and have tried different brands and sizes - mainly the 80Gb ones supplied with the Xserves in the first place.
I have tried Apple SATA disk carriers (many different ones) and Apple SAS disk carriers (again, many different ones).

I have tried a Drive backplane board from a known working machine and that also fails to boot.

I thought it cannot be the backplane if the drives are seen by the OS.
My reasoning is that it must be down to the firmware as the drives are not seen as bootable options.

The firmware on the late 2006 system is  XS11.0080.B01 - which I believe to be the latest

I cannot re-install the firmware as the system says "you are using the latest firmware and doesn't require re-loading”

 I have other xserve systems exactly the same as the ones above

The drives/carriers WILL boot in these other systems whatever combination of drives or carriers I use

I had a (brand new) motherboard as part of a service kit purchased from apple and fitted this to the Late 2006 system
I can now see the three internal drives at boot, and boot from them

This seems to suggest that either the original Motherboard itself is faulty or the firmware isn’t doing what it should.

Is it possible force re-install the firmware onto these systems?

Regards Tony
This email, including any attachments, is confidential and intended solely
for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient you must not disseminate, distribute or copy any part
of this email nor take any action in reliance on it.

If you have received this in error please notify the sender immediately by
email or phone +44 (0)1702 426400 and delete this email and any attachments
from your system.

Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not
message which arise as a result of email transmission. If verification
is required please request a hard-copy version.

OneStep Solutions LLP is registered in England and Wales under registration
number OC337173 and has its registered office at 44 The Pantiles, Tunbridge
Wells, Kent, TN2 5TN.

Re: Xserve - force re-install of firmware

Andrea Govoni
On 20 mar 2014 at 17:15, Tony Baker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have an Intel (Late 2006) Xserve and a Xserve (2008) system

[…]

> Is it possible force re-install the firmware onto these systems?

I think you could try to use a firmware Restoration CD:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2213

For Xserve (Late 2006) you need the 1.4 version:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Firmware_Restoration_CD_1_4
For Xserve (Early 2008) you need the 1.6 version:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Firmware_Restoration_CD_1_6

P.S.
Sorry for the (probably) poor quoting and formatting, I'm posting with the iCloud Mail web interface and I suspect it munches the quoting characters on conversion to the format of the e-mails sent by the list server. I don't know if it's iCloud's or list's fault but I added the '>' quoting character at the beginning of the quoted lines to try to workaround the issue.

--
Andrea Govoni

AIM/iChat/ICQ: [hidden email]
Yahoo! Messenger: xfox82

PGP
KeyID: 0x212E69C1
Fingerprint: FBE1 CA7D 34BE 4A53 9639  5C36 B7A0 605F 212E 69C1