Virtualizing existing 10.5.8?

Patrik Fältström-2
Has anyone tried to virtualize a running MacOSX Server 10.5.8?

More people than I might have a similar problem. A server that chucks along. Not much running on it, but why upgrade? At the same time as I am more and more worried about the hardware.

If it was possible to "move" the server to a virtual one, that would be perfect.

   Patrik

Re: Virtualizing existing 10.5.8?

jeff donovan-3

On Aug 21, 2012, at 4:04 PM, Patrik Fältström wrote:

> Has anyone tried to virtualize a running MacOSX Server 10.5.8?
>
> More people than I might have a similar problem. A server that chucks along. Not much running on it, but why upgrade? At the same time as I am more and more worried about the hardware.
>
> If it was possible to "move" the server to a virtual one, that would be perfect.
>
>   Patrik

virtual on PPC is not recommended. Virtual on Intel works fine. I would update to 10.6 if you can.
-j

On 22 aug 2012, at 03:38, jeff donovan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2012, at 4:04 PM, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried to virtualize a running MacOSX Server 10.5.8?
>>
>> More people than I might have a similar problem. A server that chucks along. Not much running on it, but why upgrade? At the same time as I am more and more worried about the hardware.
>>
>> If it was possible to "move" the server to a virtual one, that would be perfect.
>>
>>  Patrik
>
> virtual on PPC is not recommended. Virtual on Intel works fine. I would update to 10.6 if you can.

This is a 10.5.8 on intel.

Reason for not upgrading would be for the mail and OD upgrade which are really major with changes where I have not seen a single person that managed to upgrade without any manual intervention. For example replacement of cyrus which is hard even if you just replace cyrus. Without imapsync (which the apple upgrade do not use) I do not believe upgrade is possible. Not without forcing clients resync IMAP folders.

Call me nervous or conservative ;-)

I am as you "hopeful" that as it is intel virtualization would be possible.

But I wanted to know whether someone on this actually have done it, or if I would be the first.

   Patrik

Re: Virtualizing existing 10.5.8?

Trouton, Rich R

On Aug 22, 2012, at 2:02 AM, Patrik Fältström <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

> On 22 aug 2012, at 03:38, jeff donovan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 21, 2012, at 4:04 PM, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone tried to virtualize a running MacOSX Server 10.5.8?
>>>
>>> More people than I might have a similar problem. A server that chucks along. Not much running on it, but why upgrade? At the same time as I am more and more worried about the hardware.
>>>
>>> If it was possible to "move" the server to a virtual one, that would be perfect.
>>>
>>> Patrik
>>
>> virtual on PPC is not recommended. Virtual on Intel works fine. I would update to 10.6 if you can.
>
> This is a 10.5.8 on intel.
>
> Reason for not upgrading would be for the mail and OD upgrade which are really major with changes where I have not seen a single person that managed to upgrade without any manual intervention. For example replacement of cyrus which is hard even if you just replace cyrus. Without imapsync (which the apple upgrade do not use) I do not believe upgrade is possible. Not without forcing clients resync IMAP folders.
>
> Call me nervous or conservative ;-)
>
> I am as you "hopeful" that as it is intel virtualization would be possible.
>
> But I wanted to know whether someone on this actually have done it, or if I would be the first.

I've done it, but only as part of backup testing. It did not replace a production server, but instead was used as a convenient way to test my backup restores as realistically as possible.

In my case, I made a disk image of a shutdown 10.5 Server using Disk Utility and posted the disk image to a convenient Apache 2 webserver.

Once I had that, I set up a VMWare Fusion VM with an erased hard drive of the correct size, then booted the VM from a 10.5 Server installer DVD. I then used Disk Utility on the installer DVD to do an ASR restore via HTTP of the disk image.

Once the restore had finished, I booted the VM and there was my 10.5 Server. Everything looked and acted correctly.

Thanks,
Rich

>  Patrik

---
Rich Trouton
[hidden email]

JFRC Help Desk
phone: x4030
email: [hidden email]

The best way to get in touch with me is through email.

22 aug 2012 kl. 12:19 skrev "Trouton, Rich R" <[hidden email]>:

> I've done it, but only as part of backup testing. It did not replace a production server, but instead was used as a convenient way to test my backup restores as realistically as possible.
>
> In my case, I made a disk image of a shutdown 10.5 Server using Disk Utility and posted the disk image to a convenient Apache 2 webserver.
>
> Once I had that, I set up a VMWare Fusion VM with an erased hard drive of the correct size, then booted the VM from a 10.5 Server installer DVD. I then used Disk Utility on the installer DVD to do an ASR restore via HTTP of the disk image.
>
> Once the restore had finished, I booted the VM and there was my 10.5 Server. Everything looked and acted correctly.

Excellent information!!! THANKS!

   Patrik

Re: Virtualizing existing 10.5.8?

Clear This
can't wait to try that. Thanks Rich!

On Aug 22, 2012, at 5:56 AM, Patrik Fältström wrote:

> 22 aug 2012 kl. 12:19 skrev "Trouton, Rich R" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I've done it, but only as part of backup testing. It did not replace a production server, but instead was used as a convenient way to test my backup restores as realistically as possible.
>>
>> In my case, I made a disk image of a shutdown 10.5 Server using Disk Utility and posted the disk image to a convenient Apache 2 webserver.
>>
>> Once I had that, I set up a VMWare Fusion VM with an erased hard drive of the correct size, then booted the VM from a 10.5 Server installer DVD. I then used Disk Utility on the installer DVD to do an ASR restore via HTTP of the disk image.
>>
>> Once the restore had finished, I booted the VM and there was my 10.5 Server. Everything looked and acted correctly.
>
> Excellent information!!! THANKS!
>
>   Patrik

Re: Virtualizing existing 10.5.8?

Came across this thread again after reviewing some of my old emails.

Patrik,

How did you end up doing with your 10.5.8 virtualization effort?

Thanks,

Jerry

On 16/10/2015, at 11:50 AM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How did you end up doing with your 10.5.8 virtualization effort?

Hi Jerry

I'm not sure how Patrik got on (I don't know that I ever read the original posting back in 2012), but I can report that I do still in fact have a virtualised instance of Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 and I'm running it for similar reasons that Patrik didn't want to upgrade (primary Open Directory in my case).

It is still humming along nicely inside VMWare Fusion on a Mac Mini running currently running Mac OS X 10.10.5. Heh, it used to be a full dedicated Intel XServe before it was virtualised! :)

Hope this helps,

Pete

Ps, screenshot here because the message was too large for list with it embedded:

http://mac.geek.nz/osxserverlist/screenshot.png