VPN connection help

Stephen Graham-2

I have set up and successfully connected to my VPN server but I can’t see any network drives or files.

What am I missing?

It’s probably simple but I don’t know what it is.

Thanks in advance for being thee.

Steve Graham

--

Stephen R. Graham

SRG Resources, Inc.

Suite 309E

One Richmond Square

Providence, RI 02906

Phone: (401)621-9899

Emergencies only:

(401)954-0483

Fax: SRG c/o Richmond Square

(401)751-8997

Check out the web site at SRG Resources Computer Consultation.

And please consider contributing to the Campaign to Eliminate Childhood Poverty.(George Wiley Center).

Thank you.

image001.jpg (3K) Download Attachment

Re: VPN connection help

Randy Saeks

On May 12, 2009, at 1:57 PM, Stephen Graham wrote:

I have set up and successfully connected to my VPN server but I can’t see any network drives or files.

What am I missing?
It’s probably simple but I don’t know what it is.

Stephen,

If you view your "Client Information" tab in the VPN settings on 10.5 Server Admin, you can set what type of traffic is seen through the VPN.  You'll want to make sure you list the IP ranges of your internal network as "Private".  This way, traffic the network range will go through the VPN connection.

Also, you may need to check some of your firewall settings and ensure you are not blocking some traffic with a IP rule.  I've created a separate network range for my VPN connections and when adding a new server, need to make sure that traffic is being allowed through the firewall.  If you can, turn on firewall logging, try to access the service, then search the log file for blocked traffic which be be legit.

---
Randy Saeks
Network & Server Administrator
Northbrook / Glenview School District 30
Twitter: rsaeks

Re: VPN connection help

Eli Bach

On May 12, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Stephen Graham wrote:

> I have set up and successfully connected to my VPN server but I
> can’t see any network drives or files.
>
> What am I missing?
> It’s probably simple but I don’t know what it is.
>
> Thanks in advance for being thee.
>
> Steve Graham

Steve,

If you are expecting things like browse for server's (basically,
services using BonJour) to work, I believe the network protocol being
used doesn't get passed via the VPN.  I recall hearing about some
third party software enabling BonJour over VPN's, that would transfer
this protocol over the VPN, but I can't remember the name.

Eli

Re: VPN connection help

Bryan Dulock
You'll need to connect to it via the Go > Connect to Server menu by referencing the server IP address or it's DNS name.

DULOCK CONSULTING
Bryan Dulock  |  ACSP 10.5  |  ACTC 10.4
281-584-0476
Houston, Texas

On May 12, 2009, at 1:57 PM, Stephen Graham wrote:

I have set up and successfully connected to my VPN server but I can’t see any network drives or files.

What am I missing?
It’s probably simple but I don’t know what it is.

Thanks in advance for being thee.

Re: VPN connection help

Bryan Dulock
When connecting over VPN, you must access everything by IP or, if configured correctly, DNS name.  No automatic browsing.  Since this is specific to VPN connections, it's the same for Windows.

DULOCK CONSULTING
Bryan Dulock  |  ACSP 10.5  |  ACTC 10.4
281-584-0476
Houston, Texas

On May 13, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Stephen Graham wrote:

So it’s not supposed to be seen then? Just connect via AFP? I expected it to act like the local network and have shared computers just show up. That doesn’t happen?

I tried again last night and I still get the VPN success but nothing shows up. Would it be the same for Windows? How would I connect via Windows?

Re: VPN connection help

Cefalo02
This is very useful information on VPN server connection. Couple of months ago, I registered with one of the top 10 vpn service providers which are providing amazing services. Glad to get these services from the reputed service providers on affordable price.