Upgrading to El Capitan Server

We have a Mac OSX xserver currently running 10.9.5 (Maverick), along with OD, Netinstall, and a few others. My question is I want to upgrade to El Capitan, has anyone done this and is it a straightforward upgrade.

The last time I remember it requiring me to Export/import user details and various other things

Any thoughts appreciated.

Amos Eka
Technical Operations Manager
Technical Academic Services (Digital Learning Services)

Re: Upgrading to El Capitan Server

Amos,

Prior to this most recent server upgrade I did, I did the whole “shut down services” and export/import OD with mixed success.

I just upgraded a server running OD, Mail, Contacts, Characters, Profile Manager, Wiki and just decided to do a strait upgrade according to the App Store. Profile manager was the most important fix this was necessitated by.

Remarkably, it worked fine. I was amazed, but it’s running now, and the Profile Manager fix works!

John

> On Apr 22, 2016, at 8:08 AM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We have a Mac OSX xserver currently running 10.9.5 (Maverick), along with OD, Netinstall, and a few others. My question is I want to upgrade to El Capitan, has anyone done this and is it a straightforward upgrade.
>
> The last time I remember it requiring me to Export/import user details and various other things
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.
>
> Amos Eka
> Technical Operations Manager
> Technical Academic Services (Digital Learning Services)

I just did 10.6.8 to 10.11.4 direct on an Xserve. At first things appeared to be fine. Then the problems started.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1314599

I’m still trying to sort it out and get it to be stable again but so far this has been… Not good.

But I did do a Mac Mini from 10.8.5 to 10.11.4 days before that and that upgrade has been just fine.

Mixed bag over here so far.

-Matt

On Apr 22, 2016, at 7:19 AM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John,
>
> That’s good to hear, for me its Profile Manager, and the Netinstall Services that is used a lot here. Sounds from your experience a decent Backup (of course) of current server, and straight upgrade shouldn’t cause any problems.
>
> Cheers
>
> Amos.
>
> Amos Eka
> Technical Operations Manager
> Technical Academic Services (Digital Learning Services)

I think you'll have to do a clean install at this point.
10.6.8 was a great release and I used it for years.... But there are so many changes that occurred in 10.7-10.11 I think you'll spend less time with a clean install verses attempting to fix the network and other compatibility issues. Just my opinion and your mileage may vary. Cheers

Sent from my iPad

> On May 2, 2016, at 3:39 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just did 10.6.8 to 10.11.4 direct on an Xserve. At first things appeared to be fine. Then the problems started.
>
> https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1314599
>
> I’m still trying to sort it out and get it to be stable again but so far this has been… Not good.
>
> But I did do a Mac Mini from 10.8.5 to 10.11.4 days before that and that upgrade has been just fine.
>
> Mixed bag over here so far.
>
> -Matt
>

>> On Apr 22, 2016, at 7:19 AM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> John,
>>
>> That’s good to hear, for me its Profile Manager, and the Netinstall Services that is used a lot here. Sounds from your experience a decent Backup (of course) of current server, and straight upgrade shouldn’t cause any problems.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Amos.
>>
>> Amos Eka
>> Technical Operations Manager
>> Technical Academic Services (Digital Learning Services)

Last night I just rebuilt an OS x Server running on a MacMini. File
sharing only. It had been 10.6.x for years then 10.9.x about a year ago.
Then 10.11.x. That's when we lot Spotlight searching on Guest. After
poking it a bit (stopping and started the mds... and a few other things)
I just gave up and built it new.

And now spotlight works on guest accessible share points.

David