Thanks for RAID recommendations

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Thanks for RAID recommendations

Robert Smith-5
Thanks to everyone for the RAID recommendations.  Very helpful.

For financial reasons I have to stick w/ my XServe for now, so one more question please.  I'm using Retrospect v6.1.230 for backing up the XServe's drive, and three attached RAIDS.  It looks like I'm stuck w/ this version of Retrospect.  Any recommendations for backup software that will copy all four hard drives?

Bob
       
Robert Smith, President
[hidden email] | p: 757.490.9322 | f: 757.490.0470
Earworks Media: Voice Talent | Audio | Video | Music
5245 Cleveland St. Suite 210, Virginia Beach, VA 23462




 _______________________________________________
Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
Macos-x-server mailing list      ([hidden email])
Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/macos-x-server/lists%2Bs10970n2h62%40n7.nabble.com

This email sent to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Thanks for RAID recommendations

David Elkin-Bram
We've used Retrospect with 4GB DAT (some time ago...  Mac OS 8 and 9.)

We use basic rsync/ditto scripts to clone web stores and databases...
Carbon Copy Cloner for bootable restores, and TimeMachine for some mobile users.

In your OS/case, I would work strictly with CCC and its ability to schedule actions.
(or rsync and ditto shell scripts...)

On Mar 20, 2014, at 7:28 AM, Robert Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for the RAID recommendations.  Very helpful.
>
> For financial reasons I have to stick w/ my XServe for now, so one more question please.  I'm using Retrospect v6.1.230 for backing up the XServe's drive, and three attached RAIDS.  It looks like I'm stuck w/ this version of Retrospect.  Any recommendations for backup software that will copy all four hard drives?
>
> Bob
>
> Robert Smith, President
> [hidden email] | p: 757.490.9322 | f: 757.490.0470
> Earworks Media: Voice Talent | Audio | Video | Music
> 5245 Cleveland St. Suite 210, Virginia Beach, VA 23462
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
> Macos-x-server mailing list      ([hidden email])
> Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
> https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/macos-x-server/it-manager%40metroeast.org
>
> This email sent to [hidden email]

David Elkin-Bram

       
Chief Information Officer | office: 503.667.8848 x 327 | cell: 503.780.1614
MetroEast Community Media | Community Television and Beyond
829 NE 8th Street, Gresham OR 97030 | www.metroeast.org
KZME Radio | Music Where You Live
128 NW 3rd Street, Gresham OR 97030 | www.kzme.fm



 _______________________________________________
Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
Macos-x-server mailing list      ([hidden email])
Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/macos-x-server/lists%2Bs10970n2h62%40n7.nabble.com

This email sent to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Thanks for RAID recommendations

dalek
On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 1:32 PM, David Elkin-Bram
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> We've used Retrospect with 4GB DAT (some time ago...  Mac OS 8 and 9.)
>
> We use basic rsync/ditto scripts to clone web stores and databases...
> Carbon Copy Cloner for bootable restores, and TimeMachine for some mobile users.
>
> In your OS/case, I would work strictly with CCC and its ability to schedule actions.
> (or rsync and ditto shell scripts...)
>
      FYI, you can do incremental backups with rsync. And then backup
to yet another external drive (or set of drives which are cycled ever
week/month). Beauty about this is that it is completely OS agnostic:
it will work whether you are backing up a PPC Mac or a Xserver or even
a AIX box.

> On Mar 20, 2014, at 7:28 AM, Robert Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks to everyone for the RAID recommendations.  Very helpful.
>>
>> For financial reasons I have to stick w/ my XServe for now, so one more question please.  I'm using Retrospect v6.1.230 for backing up the XServe's drive, and three attached RAIDS.  It looks like I'm stuck w/ this version of Retrospect.  Any recommendations for backup software that will copy all four hard drives?
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> Robert Smith, President
>> [hidden email] | p: 757.490.9322 | f: 757.490.0470
>> Earworks Media: Voice Talent | Audio | Video | Music
>> 5245 Cleveland St. Suite 210, Virginia Beach, VA 23462
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
>> Macos-x-server mailing list      ([hidden email])
>> Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
>> https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/macos-x-server/it-manager%40metroeast.org
>>
>> This email sent to [hidden email]
>
> David Elkin-Bram
>
>
> Chief Information Officer | office: 503.667.8848 x 327 | cell: 503.780.1614
> MetroEast Community Media | Community Television and Beyond
> 829 NE 8th Street, Gresham OR 97030 | www.metroeast.org
> KZME Radio | Music Where You Live
> 128 NW 3rd Street, Gresham OR 97030 | www.kzme.fm
>
>
>
>  _______________________________________________
> Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
> Macos-x-server mailing list      ([hidden email])
> Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
> https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/macos-x-server/raubvogel%40gmail.com
>
> This email sent to [hidden email]


 _______________________________________________
Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
Macos-x-server mailing list      ([hidden email])
Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/macos-x-server/lists%2Bs10970n2h62%40n7.nabble.com

This email sent to [hidden email]
Loading...