Server afp and SMB sharing

Hi List,

I dont now why but at a lot of our customers we have 10.7 10.8 10.9 even 10.10 servers installed. 10.6 is what we have ourself and that works perfect.

every body is working with mix systems, all os 10.6 till 10.10  and even windows smb mounts.

We have the strange thing that when customers make documents  (the are always in a group and the group is shared) we have rights problems in the same group.

I noticed that it is important to share a folder by Mac Os server and name it.
Rights are diverend then when you share an existing folder.

Can somebody tell me, how there experiences are.

We are now putting our customers on a Synology that works always......... but i think that is not the way.
Next to that i want a document belonging to the group not to the one who makes it. i did not put him in a group for nothing :-))  when i want him to have his own documents i will make him a separate account.

William Lagerberg.

Re: Server afp and SMB sharing

Are they copying the file down to their computer to work on it? Or
working on it while on the server? I started having our users copy it,
work on it, then replace the one on the server.

-charlie

Charlie Piffer
Technology Systems Administrator
Holland Christian Schools
956 Ottawa Avenue. Holland, MI 49423
P.616-717-2875

> On Oct 10, 2015, at 11:35 AM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi List,
>
> I dont now why but at a lot of our customers we have 10.7 10.8 10.9 even 10.10 servers installed. 10.6 is what we have ourself and that works perfect.
>
> every body is working with mix systems, all os 10.6 till 10.10  and even windows smb mounts.
>
> We have the strange thing that when customers make documents  (the are always in a group and the group is shared) we have rights problems in the same group.
>
> I noticed that it is important to share a folder by Mac Os server and name it.
> Rights are diverend then when you share an existing folder.
>
> Can somebody tell me, how there experiences are.
>
> We are now putting our customers on a Synology that works always......... but i think that is not the way.
> Next to that i want a document belonging to the group not to the one who makes it. i did not put him in a group for nothing :-))  when i want him to have his own documents i will make him a separate account.
>
> William Lagerberg.

Re: Server afp and SMB sharing

I presume the problem is occurring even though you have configured access control lists for all members of the share?

Don Roedl
Network Professional
Apple Certified Technician
email: [hidden email]
messages: [hidden email]
website: http://www.donroedl.com
phone: 701-484-1124

> On Oct 10, 2015, at 10:35 AM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi List,
>
> I dont now why but at a lot of our customers we have 10.7 10.8 10.9 even 10.10 servers installed. 10.6 is what we have ourself and that works perfect.
>
> every body is working with mix systems, all os 10.6 till 10.10  and even windows smb mounts.
>
> We have the strange thing that when customers make documents  (the are always in a group and the group is shared) we have rights problems in the same group.
>
> I noticed that it is important to share a folder by Mac Os server and name it.
> Rights are diverend then when you share an existing folder.
>
> Can somebody tell me, how there experiences are.
>
> We are now putting our customers on a Synology that works always......... but i think that is not the way.
> Next to that i want a document belonging to the group not to the one who makes it. i did not put him in a group for nothing :-))  when i want him to have his own documents i will make him a separate account.
>
> William Lagerberg.

Re: Server afp and SMB sharing

Big presumption! Based on the text in the his query I would have guessed that the OP isn't aware of what ACLs are or how to use them.

But if I'm wrong and he was, would it not be fair to say that the AFP and SMB daemons don't play well together when sharing the same underlying filesystem for their shares even when ACLs are used? That's certainly been my experience over some of the version numbers quoted.

Pete

On 14/10/2015, at 3:55 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I presume the problem is occurring even though you have configured access control lists for all members of the share?
>
> Don Roedl
> Network Professional
> Apple Certified Technician
> email: [hidden email]
> messages: [hidden email]
> website: http://www.donroedl.com
> phone: 701-484-1124
>
>> On Oct 10, 2015, at 10:35 AM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi List,
>>
>> I dont now why but at a lot of our customers we have 10.7 10.8 10.9 even 10.10 servers installed. 10.6 is what we have ourself and that works perfect.
>>
>> every body is working with mix systems, all os 10.6 till 10.10  and even windows smb mounts.
>>
>> We have the strange thing that when customers make documents  (the are always in a group and the group is shared) we have rights problems in the same group.
>>
>> I noticed that it is important to share a folder by Mac Os server and name it.
>> Rights are diverend then when you share an existing folder.
>>
>> Can somebody tell me, how there experiences are.
>>
>> We are now putting our customers on a Synology that works always......... but i think that is not the way.
>> Next to that i want a document belonging to the group not to the one who makes it. i did not put him in a group for nothing :-))  when i want him to have his own documents i will make him a separate account.
>>
>> William Lagerberg.

Re: Server afp and SMB sharing

I have it working , but I had to work at it. It was not straight forward. Anyway, I thought I’d promote some friendly discussion to find some direction on the issue according to William’s configuration. Often people offer the idea that something ‘doesn’t work’ but they provide few, if any details about their configuration or what they have actually done toward resolving the issue. That is my experience anyway. So I find it very helpful to try a get a starting point. For all I know at this point, William has approached the problem from every which direction including act’s.

Although its not aways possible to promote friendly discussion in this group, once in blue moon I do still try. Doesn’t seem to ever change much though.

Don Roedl
Network Professional
Apple Certified Technician
email: [hidden email]
messages: [hidden email]
website: http://www.donroedl.com
phone: 701-484-1124

> On Oct 13, 2015, at 10:10 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Big presumption! Based on the text in the his query I would have guessed that the OP isn't aware of what ACLs are or how to use them.
>
> But if I'm wrong and he was, would it not be fair to say that the AFP and SMB daemons don't play well together when sharing the same underlying filesystem for their shares even when ACLs are used? That's certainly been my experience over some of the version numbers quoted.
>
> Pete
>

> On 14/10/2015, at 3:55 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I presume the problem is occurring even though you have configured access control lists for all members of the share?
>>
>> Don Roedl
>> Network Professional
>> Apple Certified Technician
>> email: [hidden email]
>> messages: [hidden email]
>> website: http://www.donroedl.com
>> phone: 701-484-1124
>>
>>> On Oct 10, 2015, at 10:35 AM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> I dont now why but at a lot of our customers we have 10.7 10.8 10.9 even 10.10 servers installed. 10.6 is what we have ourself and that works perfect.
>>>
>>> every body is working with mix systems, all os 10.6 till 10.10  and even windows smb mounts.
>>>
>>> We have the strange thing that when customers make documents  (the are always in a group and the group is shared) we have rights problems in the same group.
>>>
>>> I noticed that it is important to share a folder by Mac Os server and name it.
>>> Rights are diverend then when you share an existing folder.
>>>
>>> Can somebody tell me, how there experiences are.
>>>
>>> We are now putting our customers on a Synology that works always......... but i think that is not the way.
>>> Next to that i want a document belonging to the group not to the one who makes it. i did not put him in a group for nothing :-))  when i want him to have his own documents i will make him a separate account.
>>>
>>> William Lagerberg.

Re: Server afp and SMB sharing

I'm glad you've managed to find a way to make them place nice together. I have cobbled solutions together too, but they always seem like hoop-jumping and kludges or hacks. I far prefer to keep SMB and AFP separated now days (just use the SMB client built into Mac OS X to access that folder if you really need to share it via SMB rather than sharing via AFP too).

But hey horses for courses eh!

You comments on posters providing few details reminds me of the old Smart Questions document. Well worth everyone reading once! I've used the approaches recommended in that document when seeking free help from community and following it really does wonders for increasing the quality of the answers you get (or their existence at all!).

Pete

On 14/10/2015, at 4:30 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have it working , but I had to work at it. It was not straight forward. Anyway, I thought I’d promote some friendly discussion to find some direction on the issue according to William’s configuration. Often people offer the idea that something ‘doesn’t work’ but they provide few, if any details about their configuration or what they have actually done toward resolving the issue. That is my experience anyway. So I find it very helpful to try a get a starting point. For all I know at this point, William has approached the problem from every which direction including act’s.
>
> Although its not aways possible to promote friendly discussion in this group, once in blue moon I do still try. Doesn’t seem to ever change much though.
>
> Don Roedl
> Network Professional
> Apple Certified Technician
> email: [hidden email]
> messages: [hidden email]
> website: http://www.donroedl.com
> phone: 701-484-1124
>
>> On Oct 13, 2015, at 10:10 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Big presumption! Based on the text in the his query I would have guessed that the OP isn't aware of what ACLs are or how to use them.
>>
>> But if I'm wrong and he was, would it not be fair to say that the AFP and SMB daemons don't play well together when sharing the same underlying filesystem for their shares even when ACLs are used? That's certainly been my experience over some of the version numbers quoted.
>>
>> Pete
>>

>> On 14/10/2015, at 3:55 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I presume the problem is occurring even though you have configured access control lists for all members of the share?
>>>
>>> Don Roedl
>>> Network Professional
>>> Apple Certified Technician
>>> email: [hidden email]
>>> messages: [hidden email]
>>> website: http://www.donroedl.com
>>> phone: 701-484-1124

>> This email sent to [hidden email]

Re: Server afp and SMB sharing

I would agree with Pete here.

I have setup all server systems from SE/30 days to OSX10.9, and I have this permissions issue with 10.7 and 10.8 as well.  Even with the services enabled for each user AND group, the permissions do not always stick for SMB shares to pick up the ACLs, on files/folders created by Windows users.  Then trying to clear the existing ACLs is difficult.

I find the use of Synology very slow for copy files as a side note.

Mike Matthews, Managing Director, Lineal Software Solutions Ltd

Apple Reseller, Microsoft Partner, SQLWorks Business Partner
phone: 01271 375999 | web: lineal.co.uk | email: [hidden email]

On 14 Oct 2015, at 05:10, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Big presumption! Based on the text in the his query I would have guessed that the OP isn't aware of what ACLs are or how to use them.
>
> But if I'm wrong and he was, would it not be fair to say that the AFP and SMB daemons don't play well together when sharing the same underlying filesystem for their shares even when ACLs are used? That's certainly been my experience over some of the version numbers quoted.
>
> Pete
>

> On 14/10/2015, at 3:55 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I presume the problem is occurring even though you have configured access control lists for all members of the share?
>>
>> Don Roedl
>> Network Professional
>> Apple Certified Technician
>> email: [hidden email]
>> messages: [hidden email]
>> website: http://www.donroedl.com
>> phone: 701-484-1124
>>
>>> On Oct 10, 2015, at 10:35 AM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> I dont now why but at a lot of our customers we have 10.7 10.8 10.9 even 10.10 servers installed. 10.6 is what we have ourself and that works perfect.
>>>
>>> every body is working with mix systems, all os 10.6 till 10.10  and even windows smb mounts.
>>>
>>> We have the strange thing that when customers make documents  (the are always in a group and the group is shared) we have rights problems in the same group.
>>>
>>> I noticed that it is important to share a folder by Mac Os server and name it.
>>> Rights are diverend then when you share an existing folder.
>>>
>>> Can somebody tell me, how there experiences are.
>>>
>>> We are now putting our customers on a Synology that works always......... but i think that is not the way.
>>> Next to that i want a document belonging to the group not to the one who makes it. i did not put him in a group for nothing :-))  when i want him to have his own documents i will make him a separate account.
>>>
>>> William Lagerberg.

Re: Server afp and SMB sharing

SE/30, wow what a trip down memory lane. I had almost forgotten about System 7, let alone System 6!

When I started toying with the Macintosh (at the ripe old age of about 8 ;) my dad had an SE/30 dual FDD, which saved _so_ much swapping!

'Please insert the disc Mac Paint...'

lolz wow thanks for the trip :)

On 14/10/2015, at 7:22 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would agree with Pete here.
>
> I have setup all server systems from SE/30 days to OSX10.9, and I have this permissions issue with 10.7 and 10.8 as well.  Even with the services enabled for each user AND group, the permissions do not always stick for SMB shares to pick up the ACLs, on files/folders created by Windows users.  Then trying to clear the existing ACLs is difficult.
>
> I find the use of Synology very slow for copy files as a side note.
>

> Mike Matthews, Managing Director, Lineal Software Solutions Ltd
>
> Apple Reseller, Microsoft Partner, SQLWorks Business Partner
> phone: 01271 375999 | web: lineal.co.uk | email: [hidden email]
>
> On 14 Oct 2015, at 05:10, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Big presumption! Based on the text in the his query I would have guessed that the OP isn't aware of what ACLs are or how to use them.
>>
>> But if I'm wrong and he was, would it not be fair to say that the AFP and SMB daemons don't play well together when sharing the same underlying filesystem for their shares even when ACLs are used? That's certainly been my experience over some of the version numbers quoted.
>>
>> Pete
>>

>> On 14/10/2015, at 3:55 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I presume the problem is occurring even though you have configured access control lists for all members of the share?
>>>
>>> Don Roedl
>>> Network Professional
>>> Apple Certified Technician
>>> email: [hidden email]
>>> messages: [hidden email]
>>> website: http://www.donroedl.com
>>> phone: 701-484-1124

>> This email sent to [hidden email]

Re: Server afp and SMB sharing

Yes but once you added a 20 or 40 Mbyte hard drive the swapping went completely away.

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 1:32 AM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> SE/30, wow what a trip down memory lane. I had almost forgotten about System 7, let alone System 6!
>
> When I started toying with the Macintosh (at the ripe old age of about 8 ;) my dad had an SE/30 dual FDD, which saved _so_ much swapping!
>
> 'Please insert the disc Mac Paint...'
>
> lolz wow thanks for the trip :)

Re: Server afp and SMB sharing

AppleShare v2 I think it was. AppleTalk over LocalTalk and then came those 10baseT cards you could add for proper Ethernet. Now we were talking data sharing. My Omnis databases started showing promise and they still do.
Current version is Omnis Studio v6.1

Didn't have the permission problems then so much. Just AFP for now.

Mike

Mike Matthews / Managing Director
[hidden email] / 07973 306790

Lineal Software Solutions
01271 375999
Unit 7, Riverside Court, Castle Street
Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 1DR
www.lineal.co.uk

This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is prohibited. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail is deemed to have accepted these risks. Lineal is not responsible for errors or omissions in this message and denies any responsibility for any damage arising from the use of e-mail. Any opinion and other statement contained in this message and any attachment are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.