Samba and Open Directory

Nicolas Ross
Hi !

I've got an Open Directory master that is used to authenticate users on our
servers. It's un our colocation server room, i.e. not on the same local net.
We have a point-to-point connection to access our servers.

Now, in our localnet, we have a linux server that is used for 2 things: php
developpement and samba file server. This server is properly connected with
ldap for authentification to ur OD server stated above. I would like samba
to also authenticate to it, and I struggeling to make it work.

I tried 2 approches.

1. Direct ldap :

security = user
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://192.168.110.252
ldap ssl = no
ldap suffix = dc=mydomain,dc=com
ldap machine suffix = cn=computers
ldap user suffix = cn=users
ldap group suffix = cn=groups
ldap admin dn = "uid=root,cn=users,dc=mydomain,dc=com"
ldap debug level = 1

Now, I've tried with/without admin dn, and I tryed almost every combination
that I know of toe the admin dn. (with/without cn=users, with/withou
ou=users, etc).

When doing so, I get :

add_new_domain_info: failed to add domain
dn=sambaDomainName=LINUX,dc=domain,dc=com with: Invalid DN syntax invalid DN

On the OD part I have :

do_add: invalid dn (sambaDomainName=LINUX,dc=domain,dc=com)

I have done "smbpasswd -w 'password'" to store my odmanager's password in
the linux server's secret tbd file.

2. Samba PDC, use the samba on the OD master to be used to auth smb users :

security = domain
password server = odmaster
encrypt passwords = yes

Then I need to add the linux server to the "pdc" :

net join -S odmaster -U odmanager

I get :

Creation of workstation account failed
Unable to join domain DOMAIN.

I would prefer use the direct ldap method, so can someone help me figure out
what I need to do in order to authenticate my linux samba server to my open
directory ldap server ?

Re: Samba and Open Directory

chrissyb
Hi Did you every find an answer to your problem? I am having the same one. Thank you

Re: Samba and Open Directory

whatthehost
Hi There

Did you ever get this working? I am stuck on the same thing and it's driving me nutty.

Cheers
Sam