Resize ESXi volume?

Does anyone know if it's possible to resize an ESXi volume running OS X
as the guest OS?  If so, how?

Up until now, I've just been cloning to a second volume of the new size,
but that is time consuming.

Thanks!

        - John

Re: Resize ESXi volume?

On Apr 28, 2015, at 12:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Does anyone know if it's possible to resize an ESXi volume running OS X
> as the guest OS?  If so, how?

For other OS's you can use Gparted...but I've never tried that with OS X.

-Matt

___________________________________
Matt Federoff
Chief Information Officer
Vail School District
Vail, Arizona USA
520.879.2007
"Technician by trade, Educator at heart"

Re: Resize ESXi volume?

I'm pretty sure that's the safest way to do it. I assume your using
CarbonCopyCloner (or something like that)...

Farokh
MCF Software...simply dependably engineered
For all your computer and networking needs including hosting solutions
for every need.
Phone: 845-735-0210
Cell: 914-262-1594

> OS X Server Mail List <mailto:[hidden email]>
> April 27, 2015 at 16:42
> Does anyone know if it's possible to resize an ESXi volume running OS
> X as the guest OS?  If so, how?
>
> Up until now, I've just been cloning to a second volume of the new
> size, but that is time consuming.
>
> Thanks!
>
>     - John

Re: Resize ESXi volume?

wrote:

> > Does anyone know if it's possible to resize an ESXi volume running OS X
> > as the guest OS?  If so, how?
>
> For other OS's you can use Gparted...but I've never tried that with OS X.
>
> -Matt

      So you cannot resize it using disk utility (
http://osxdaily.com/2009/11/20/resize-partitions-in-mac-os-x-with-disk-utility/)
as you used to anymore? Bummer. I had to do that to my 10.5 box before; it
took a long time -- I let it run overnight -- but it worked.

> ___________________________________
> Matt Federoff
> Chief Information Officer
> Vail School District
> Vail, Arizona USA
> 520.879.2007
> "Technician by trade, Educator at heart"

https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/macos-x-server/raubvogel%40gmail.com

Re: Resize ESXi volume?

Instead of asking here, it would be far better to consult VMware about this issue. According to
the VMware help pages, you can resize an ESXi volume, then use disk utility to resize the
partition. I’m not sure how to to the same within Fusion, but I am sure it can be done.

Jack Brindle

> On Apr 28, 2015, at 11:54 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Apr 29, 2015 2:56 AM, "OS X Server Mail List" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Apr 28, 2015, at 12:00 PM, [hidden email]
> wrote:
>>

>>> Does anyone know if it's possible to resize an ESXi volume running OS X
>>> as the guest OS?  If so, how?
>>
>> For other OS's you can use Gparted...but I've never tried that with OS X.
>>
>> -Matt
>>
>      So you cannot resize it using disk utility (
> http://osxdaily.com/2009/11/20/resize-partitions-in-mac-os-x-with-disk-utility/)
> as you used to anymore? Bummer. I had to do that to my 10.5 box before; it
> took a long time -- I let it run overnight -- but it worked.
>

>> ___________________________________
>> Matt Federoff
>> Chief Information Officer
>> Vail School District
>> Vail, Arizona USA
>> 520.879.2007
>> "Technician by trade, Educator at heart"

> https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/macos-x-server/raubvogel%40gmail.com
>>
>> This email sent to [hidden email]

Re: Resize ESXi volume?

It's roughly the same process for OS X VMs hosted on both ESXi or VMware Fusion:

1. Make sure the VM in question is backed up.
2. Verify that the VM  does not have snapshots associated with it.
3. Shut down the VM
4. Use VMware's disk sizing setting for the VM to give the applicable drive more space and save the changes.
5. Boot the OS X VM
6. Open Disk Utility and resize the partition to include the free space now available:

http://osxdaily.com/2009/11/20/resize-partitions-in-mac-os-x-with-disk-utility/

Thanks,
Rich

> On Apr 29, 2015, at 8:57 AM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Instead of asking here, it would be far better to consult VMware about this issue. According to
> the VMware help pages, you can resize an ESXi volume, then use disk utility to resize the
> partition. I’m not sure how to to the same within Fusion, but I am sure it can be done.
>
> Jack Brindle
>
>> On Apr 28, 2015, at 11:54 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 29, 2015 2:56 AM, "OS X Server Mail List" <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> For other OS's you can use Gparted...but I've never tried that with OS X.
>>>
>>> -Matt
>>>
>>     So you cannot resize it using disk utility (
>> http://osxdaily.com/2009/11/20/resize-partitions-in-mac-os-x-with-disk-utility/)
>> as you used to anymore? Bummer. I had to do that to my 10.5 box before; it
>> took a long time -- I let it run overnight -- but it worked.
>>

>>> ___________________________________
>>> Matt Federoff
>>> Chief Information Officer
>>> Vail School District
>>> Vail, Arizona USA
>>> 520.879.2007
>>> "Technician by trade, Educator at heart"

>> https://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/macos-x-server/raubvogel%40gmail.com
>>>
>>> This email sent to [hidden email]

>> This email sent to [hidden email]

---
Rich Trouton
[hidden email]

JRC Help Desk
phone: x4030
email: [hidden email]

The best way to get in touch with me is through email.