Re: Cause of "sick server" syndrome? (OS X Server Mail List)

Re: Cause of "sick server" syndrome? (OS X Server Mail List)

I like the idea of running SpinRite from within a compatible VM (which certainly qualifies as my 'something else') although of course that's going to be more practical if you already have such an arrangement configured and ready to go.

Re using TDM, I've experienced many cases where a damaged disk simply can't be accessed over Firewire (or USB for that matter), but can be when directly connected to a Mac's SATA bus. I imagine there's some explanation for this, but I don't know it. My go-to method in such cases is to load the bad drive into a Mac Pro's drive sled and run the repair software on that machine.

Alas the Mac Pro tower, of which we have several, is the last of its kind. Carl could not be more correct about the fine quality of its engineering.

Neil

> On Feb 10, 2015, at 15:00 , [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 15:39:17 -0600
>
> Nah, SpinRite can be run from a virtual machine guest on a Mac host via
> VirtualBox or some such. There are OS X tutorials for doing this on the
> Web, easily findable.
>
> I suggest SpinRite over DiskWarrior et. al. specifically because there does
> not seem to be filesystem corruption or similar (judging from fsck and
> journal replay completion) so the problem, if it is a bad drive, is
> orthogonal to the data on the drive. Hence, SpinRite's a more reliable (and
> less costly) approach.
>
> I once booted a similarly misbehaving Mac laptop into Target Disk mode and
> ran spinrite on it from my own Mac using a FreeDOS virtual machine in
> VirtualBox and the results were stellar. Obvsiously the drive wasn't
> trustworthy anymore but the laptop ran fine for quite a few weeks before it
> got the drive replaced anyway. *shrug* YMMV and whatnot.
>
> Cheers,
> -m

Neil Maller
Ferguson Advertising