Persistent hard drive errors in Disk Utility/OS X Server 10.8.5/"Journal need to be replayed"

Persistent hard drive errors in Disk Utility/OS X Server 10.8.5/"Journal need to be replayed"

Paul Kneipp
I am seeing persistent errors in Disk Utility on a Mac Pro running OS X 10.8.5 Server. Occasionally I like to run diskutil over data drives and these errors began about a month ago. I have been speaking with Apple about this but I thought I would ask the experts on a possible cause.

  *   MacPro 5,1 OS X 10.8.5 (these errors began under 10.8.4)
  *   OD server  (Server 2.2.2)
  *   Running filesharing and web services
  *   The errors are on the data-hd (home directories, shared files)
  *   There is about 300gb of data

The errors typically look like this:

Verifying volume “data-hd”

Checking file systemVerifying volume when it is mounted with write access.

Journal need to be replayed but volume is read-only

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.

Incorrect block count for file syn-0x0000016e.mdb

(It should be 50 instead of 52)

Incorrect number of thread records

Invalid leaf record count

(It should be 3804066 instead of 3804068)

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking catalog hierarchy.

Checking extended attributes file.

Incorrect number of extended attributes

(It should be 1598640 instead of 1598643)

Incorrect number of Access Control Lists

(It should be 1403000 instead of 1403002)

Invalid leaf record count

(It should be 2010795 instead of 2010799)

Checking volume bitmap.

Volume bitmap needs minor repair for under-allocation

Checking volume information.

Volume header needs minor repair

The volume data-hd was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

Running repair results in this:

Verify and Repair volume “data-hd”

Checking file systemVerifying volume when it is mounted with write access.

Journal need to be replayed but volume is read-only

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.

Invalid index key

Invalid sibling link

The volume data-hd was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Volume repair complete.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

Steps I have taken to fix this:

• Backed up files to external HD, formatted HD and restored files, using Carbon Copy Cloner (not to a disk image, to a new drive) Error returned.
• Backed up files to external HD, put a new HD in the machine (different bay) restored files. Error returned.
• Tested memory. All OK.
• Running drive from external boot, repeat procedure, run Disk Warrior and TechTools Pro. Disk Utility reports no errors. Restart computer, error returns next day.

I am very interested to hear thoughts on this. Trolled through the logs many times. Apple are planning on looking at the motherboard next, but not saying much else about this problem.

Is it causing issues? Not that I can tell. Perhaps I am being overly cautious but I've never lost user data; and being very careful with it seems to have kept me in the 'good books' (and paid) in the places I work.

Thanks for your time – it's much appreciated.

Regards,

Paul.

Re: Persistent hard drive errors in Disk Utility/OS X Server 10.8.5/"Journal need to be replayed"

Mike Solin-2
Yeah, I'd check out the logic board (also called the backplane board on Mac Pros).  On any other Mac, I'd also suspect the hard drive cables, but since there are none on a Mac Pro, that narrows it down a little bit from a hardware standpoint.  Well, unless the drive is installed in the optical bay.

I'd personally skip TechTool and solely rely on Disk Utility and DiskWarrior.  I haven't seen good things from TechTool's directory repair utility.

Mike

[hidden email] / @flammable
http://mikesolin.com

On Oct 23, 2013, at 7:47 PM, Paul Kneipp wrote:

> [...]
> • Tested memory. All OK.
> • Running drive from external boot, repeat procedure, run Disk Warrior and TechTools Pro. Disk Utility reports no errors. Restart computer, error returns next day.
>
> I am very interested to hear thoughts on this. Trolled through the logs many times. Apple are planning on looking at the motherboard next, but not saying much else about this problem.
>
> Is it causing issues? Not that I can tell. Perhaps I am being overly cautious but I've never lost user data; and being very careful with it seems to have kept me in the 'good books' (and paid) in the places I work.
>

> Thanks for your time – it's much appreciated.
>

> Regards,
>
> Paul.

Re: Persistent hard drive errors in Disk Utility/OS X Server 10.8.5/"Journal need to be replayed"

Clark Martin

On Oct 23, 2013, at 9:23 PM, Mike Solin wrote:

> Yeah, I'd check out the logic board (also called the backplane board
> on Mac Pros).  On any other Mac, I'd also suspect the hard drive
> cables, but since there are none on a Mac Pro, that narrows it down
> a little bit from a hardware standpoint.  Well, unless the drive is
> installed in the optical bay.

I have an old iBook G4 that started throwing disk errors.  I tried
fixing them then reformatting but they kept re-appearing.  I tried the
drive in an external enclosure and it was fine.  I eventually bought a
used iBook G4 and the drive worked fine .  Something on the logic
board went caflouie.  I still use the old logic board with a FW
drive.  Oh, yeah, I changed out the hard drive cable too, to no avail.

Re: Persistent hard drive errors in Disk Utility/OS X Server 10.8.5/"Journal need to be replayed"

Henri Shustak
I would suggest that you check the drives for bad blocks with a tool such as Drive Genius : http://www.prosofteng.com/products/drive_genius.php

However, I personally suspect that it is far more likely that there is something wrong with the machine given that repeatedly occurring on multiple drives in the same machine.

Hopefully, your issue will be soon be resolved.