Open Directory with SSL on Yosemite

I'm trying to connect a machine over SSL to an Open Directory master. Both machines are OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).

I configured the OD master with the UI. When I connect from the client with the Directory Utility it says

        Server did not respond.

when I use "Encrypt using SSL" (works without). I _can_ connect to port 636 on the master, though.

What would be good steps to trouble shoot this?

Thanks.

/Daniel