OS X 10.10 Mail GSSAPI errors

Since upgrading to OSX 10.10, I’m getting scads of the following error messages in the system log whenever Mail.app checks for new mail (actually, when Mail.app does any communication at all with the mail server):

Mail[17367]: Failed to start the SASL connection
SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error:  Miscellaneous failure (see text (No credentials cache file found (negative cache))

The log is 99% these messages. Does anyone know what they might mean and how to silence them?
-Carl

Re: OS X 10.10 Mail GSSAPI errors

Carl,
as far as I’ve read, this is due to the WiFi connections on the client side.
I can see once in a while the same issue here.
It improved after switching to 5GHz WiFi.

cheers
Matthias

> Am 24 Nov 2014 um 14:14 schrieb OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]>:
>
> Since upgrading to OSX 10.10, I’m getting scads of the following error messages in the system log whenever Mail.app checks for new mail (actually, when Mail.app does any communication at all with the mail server):
>
> Mail[17367]: Failed to start the SASL connection
> SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error:  Miscellaneous failure (see text (No credentials cache file found (negative cache))
>
> The log is 99% these messages. Does anyone know what they might mean and how to silence them?
> -Carl

Re: OS X 10.10 Mail GSSAPI errors

“No credentials cache file found” sounds like a Kerberos issue to me.
Is Mail trying to use Kerberos instead of Password, MD5 Challenge Response, or another method?
Choose Mail > Preferences.
Click Accounts in the toolbar.
Select an account in the left column.
Click the Advanced tab.
What is the Authentication pop-up menu set to?

Arek Dreyer • Dreyer Network Consultants, Inc •  773-251-8931 • [hidden email] • Apple Certified Trainer

> On Nov 23, 2014, at 11:14 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Since upgrading to OSX 10.10, I’m getting scads of the following error messages in the system log whenever Mail.app checks for new mail (actually, when Mail.app does any communication at all with the mail server):
>
> Mail[17367]: Failed to start the SASL connection
> SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error:  Miscellaneous failure (see text (No credentials cache file found (negative cache))
>
> The log is 99% these messages. Does anyone know what they might mean and how to silence them?
> -Carl

Re: OS X 10.10 Mail GSSAPI errors

Hi Arek,

Thanks for the reply. I’m using MD5 Challenge-Response as the authentication for the accounts, port 143. On the mail server side (OSXS 10.6.8), it’s saying this:

dovecot[177]: auth(default): mech_cram_md5: challenge
dovecot[177]: imap-login: Login: user=<carl>, method=CRAM-MD5, TLS
dovecot[177]: IMAP(*): User carl: Connection closed bytes=163/287
dovecot[177]: imap-login: Aborted login (no auth attempts), TLS

I _am_ receiving emails successfully, but the log is full of the “SASL connection” error messages.
-Carl