Mailman question.

JRC Groups
Hello, everyone.

I want to develop a strategy to back-up my Mailman data as simply as I can. I am not fluent in UNIX and would prefer to avoid the command line if at all possible.

Is there a single folder in OS X Server 10.6 that I can copy that contains ALL Mailman files ? I will be using the Mac interface to do this. I have to assume if I do down deep enough I will eventually get to a single folder I can copy where every single file related to Mailman is located. Is this right and which folder is it ?

Thank you in advance,

Joe.

Re: Mailman question.

Arek Dreyer
The most simple way is to back up your server with Time Machine. That happens to also be the only supported way.
By the way, this list is officially retired. I’d suggest you use the MacEnterprise list next time.

On Feb 11, 2014, at 2:18 PM, Joe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, everyone.
>
> I want to develop a strategy to back-up my Mailman data as simply as I can. I am not fluent in UNIX and would prefer to avoid the command line if at all possible.
>
> Is there a single folder in OS X Server 10.6 that I can copy that contains ALL Mailman files ? I will be using the Mac interface to do this. I have to assume if I do down deep enough I will eventually get to a single folder I can copy where every single file related to Mailman is located. Is this right and which folder is it ?

Arek Dreyer • Dreyer Network Consultants, Inc •  773-251-8931 • [hidden email] • Apple Certified Trainer

Re: Mailman question.

JRC Groups
Thank you Arek for your help and reply.

What is Apple doing with Mailman ? It appears they have dropped it and all support for it. My server is still running 10.6 because the subsequent versions of OS X Server didn't include Mailman and I wanted to avoid the update in fear it would break the lists I am now running.

I looked for the MacEnterprise list in page above but it doesn't seem to be hosted by Apple. Is this the case ? How can I join this list ?

Thank you,

Joe.

On February 11, 2014, at 12:43 PM, Arek Dreyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The most simple way is to back up your server with Time Machine. That happens to also be the only supported way.
> By the way, this list is officially retired. I’d suggest you use the MacEnterprise list next time.
>
> On Feb 11, 2014, at 2:18 PM, Joe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello, everyone.
>>
>> I want to develop a strategy to back-up my Mailman data as simply as I can. I am not fluent in UNIX and would prefer to avoid the command line if at all possible.
>>
>> Is there a single folder in OS X Server 10.6 that I can copy that contains ALL Mailman files ? I will be using the Mac interface to do this. I have to assume if I do down deep enough I will eventually get to a single folder I can copy where every single file related to Mailman is located. Is this right and which folder is it ?
>

> Arek Dreyer • Dreyer Network Consultants, Inc •  773-251-8931 • [hidden email] • Apple Certified Trainer

Re: Mailman question.

Gustafson, Dan
Just google macenterprise and you'll find it.

Some of these Apple mailing lists are still quite active.  I have
posted questions on lists here that looked dead, then BOOM a flurry of
activity.

Where else should I be looking for Apple tech forum/lists/discussions?
 I think the official "apple discussions" website is an awful place to
look for info, the topics I have looked into have been empty,
outdated, or flooded with garbage.

THANKS!
--Dan

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Joe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you Arek for your help and reply.

> What is Apple doing with Mailman ? It appears they have dropped it and all support for it. My server is still running 10.6 because the subsequent versions of OS X Server didn't include Mailman and I wanted to avoid the update in fear it would break the lists I am now running.
>
> I looked for the MacEnterprise list in page above but it doesn't seem to be hosted by Apple. Is this the case ? How can I join this list ?

Re: Mailman question.

Angus Fox (Multizone)
Time Machine works well nowadays but I wouldn't trust Time Machine on a 10.6 server. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH8384

Angus

Re: Mailman question.

Andre LaBranche

On Feb 11, 2014, at 1:35 PM, Gustafson, Dan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Where else should I be looking for Apple tech forum/lists/discussions?
> I think the official "apple discussions" website is an awful place to
> look for info, the topics I have looked into have been empty,
> outdated, or flooded with garbage.

The only official and non-retired internet-facing resource I'm aware of is:

https://discussions.apple.com/community/servers_enterprise_software/os_x_server

I'll refrain from editorializing on the differences between mailing lists and web forums, but... I mostly share your perspective. However, just because the signal to noise ratio is unfavorable, that doesn't mean there is no signal. You can't stop the signal! :)

Apple also still provides roughly the same suite of 'professional services' that they have always provided, which is basically 'for pay consulting'. In my experience, this is most suitable for larger entities with difficult integration problems.

I think it's time I subscribed to the macenterprise list...

HTH,
-dre

Re: Mailman question.

Jerry Kemp-4
To the OP.

I found this link on the WayBack machine that may provide some assistance.

Hope this helps,

Jerry