Compile Sendmail

Hello,

did anybody compiled sendmail successful?

Under which user is sendmail running?
According the build information I found a user and group called smmsp would be required, which is not there.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Matthias

Re: Compile Sendmail

Have you considered using PostFix <http://www.postfix.org>, Exim <http://www.exim.org> or some other MTA?

If you are looking to use a GUI which offers quick setup of basic PostFix configuration on most versions of OS X, then you may want to take a look at Mail Serve :<http://www.cutedgesystems.com/software/MailServeForYosemite/>

Hope this helps.

This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution
http://www.lbackup.org

On 29/09/2014, at 3:48 AM, OS X Server mail list <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> did anybody compiled sendmail successful?
>
> Under which user is sendmail running?
> According the build information I found a user and group called smmsp would be required, which is not there.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you
> Matthias

Re: Compile Sendmail

Hello,
I’m using Postfix as it ships with MacOS X Server 10.6.
I’m aiming to use milter-greylist, which requires libmilter.
As far as I figured it out now to install libmilter the best way would be to recompile sendmail.
cheers
Matthias

> Am 10 Nov 2014 um 07:31 schrieb OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]>:
>
> Have you considered using PostFix <http://www.postfix.org>, Exim <http://www.exim.org> or some other MTA?
>
> If you are looking to use a GUI which offers quick setup of basic PostFix configuration on most versions of OS X, then you may want to take a look at Mail Serve :<http://www.cutedgesystems.com/software/MailServeForYosemite/>
>
> Hope this helps.

> This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution
> http://www.lbackup.org
>
> On 29/09/2014, at 3:48 AM, OS X Server mail list <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> did anybody compiled sendmail successful?
>>
>> Under which user is sendmail running?
>> According the build information I found a user and group called smmsp would be required, which is not there.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thank you
>> Matthias

>> This email sent to [hidden email]

Re: Compile Sendmail

Why not use a greylister that was built with postfix in mind? I used postgrey for quite some time before newer versions of OS X Server came with the minimal version it has. Postgrey was better, but I'm a bit lazy so I keep using the included script.

- Kevin

> On Nov 11, 2014, at 11:32 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I’m using Postfix as it ships with MacOS X Server 10.6.
> I’m aiming to use milter-greylist, which requires libmilter.
> As far as I figured it out now to install libmilter the best way would be to recompile sendmail.
> cheers
> Matthias

Re: Compile Sendmail

Milter greylist is highly configurable, the one which comes with OSX is just greylisting everything …

cheers
Matthias

> Am 12 Nov 2014 um 23:05 schrieb OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]>:
>
> Why not use a greylister that was built with postfix in mind? I used postgrey for quite some time before newer versions of OS X Server came with the minimal version it has. Postgrey was better, but I'm a bit lazy so I keep using the included script.
>
> - Kevin
>
>> On Nov 11, 2014, at 11:32 PM, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I’m using Postfix as it ships with MacOS X Server 10.6.
>> I’m aiming to use milter-greylist, which requires libmilter.
>> As far as I figured it out now to install libmilter the best way would be to recompile sendmail.
>> cheers
>> Matthias

Re: Compile Sendmail

You can whitelist with postfix before sending it through to the greylist script. Postgrey also has whitelist for clients and recipients.

I wonder what features of milter greylist would give that the whitelisting of postgrey wouldn't. I don't see anything that would impact my use specifically, so I wonder if I'm missing something, or your needs are just more complex?

Thanks,
Kevin