Cannot create items in Contacts, Calendar, etc.

Cannot create items in Contacts, Calendar, etc.

I've just started using macOS Server (5.2). I've previously run a Snow Leopard Server on the Internet. Right now, this new server is not on the Internet, but I'm configuring it on a local network.

After starting up Contacts, Calendar servers, I am testing using them from clients. From a client MacBook that is also running Sierra, I've used System Preferences Internet Accounts to add a "macOS Server account". All my client apps currently connect to iCloud. I am adding the new server to that configuration.

So, then, nothing really works.

On the client, Contacts doesn't show the macOS server in the list of contacts on the left side. When I create a Card, there's no place from which to select the server. The server is in the list of Accounts seen from Contacts (which simply goes to Internet Accounts).

The failure is different in Calendar. On the client, the server appears in the list of calendars on the left side. When I add a calendar to the server, instead of adding a new entry under the server, it *highlights* the default calendar on iCloud, as if I had selected it to change its name. If I create an event, the server appears under the list of calendars that can be selected to place the new event into, but when I select that, the entry is created in the default iCloud calendar and calendar under the server disappears.

I've tried Reminders, Mail, too, and they don't work right.

There's little information available for macOS server work, unlike for Snow Leopard (where there were entire books available from Apple for free). So, I'm wondering if I have something fundamental wrong, that is causing trouble for all these apps.

Thanks for your time and help.
==Leonard
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Cannot create items in Contacts, Calendar, etc.

Start with DNS. Everything in macOS Server requires perfect DNS either on the macOS computer or elsewhere. On a home network this is sometimes called split DNS. This list is dead so look on the apple support community forums for Server.

Angus

On 20 Dec 2016, at 20:33, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've just started using macOS Server (5.2)…. on a local network. … So, then, nothing really works.