App Python?

Hello,

I recently observe the starting of an application Python on my server running MacOS 10.6 Server.
The application has a menu-bar without any entries.
I have no idea, what this application is doing and who is starting it as I couldn’t find anything until now.
I also can’t find a Phyton.app on my machine, so I’m wondering what that is.
After restarting the box the app disappears.

Python is normaly running on the OS with mailman and has obviously nothing to do with that.

Any idea?
Thank you
Matthias

Re: App Python?

I would advise that the next time you see it (if at all), jump into terminal and type 'ps -ax' (without the quotes). You 'may' be able to see where it is executing from.

You should also start going through the various logs (using the Console app) to look for any anominous entries.

Without further info, it's kinda hard to help you any further.
-Greg

On Mar 22, 2015, at 3:27, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently observe the starting of an application Python on my server running MacOS 10.6 Server.
> The application has a menu-bar without any entries.
> I have no idea, what this application is doing and who is starting it as I couldn’t find anything until now.
> I also can’t find a Phyton.app on my machine, so I’m wondering what that is.
> After restarting the box the app disappears.
>
> Python is normaly running on the OS with mailman and has obviously nothing to do with that.
>
> Any idea?
> Thank you
> Matthias

Re: App Python?

On 22 Mar 2015, at 7:27am, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recently observe the starting of an application Python on my server running MacOS 10.6 Server.
> The application has a menu-bar without any entries.
> I have no idea, what this application is doing and who is starting it as I couldn’t find anything until now.

Using Activity Monitor.app you may be able to find the process and use the information window to find out what started it.

It's possible that you are running the web server on that computer, with Python service configured to start up when needed.

Simon
--
Simon Slavin                               Fylde Building Room C11
Computing Development Officer              x93569

Re: App Python?

> Am 23 Mar 2015 um 18:02 schrieb OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]>:
>

> On 22 Mar 2015, at 7:27am, OS X Server Mail List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I recently observe the starting of an application Python on my server running MacOS 10.6 Server.
>> The application has a menu-bar without any entries.
>> I have no idea, what this application is doing and who is starting it as I couldn’t find anything until now.
>
> Using Activity Monitor.app you may be able to find the process and use the information window to find out what started it.

I could have done the last time grrrr - thanks for knocking on my head :-D
since the last restart it didn’t appear again.

> It’s possible that you are running the web server on that computer, with Python service configured to start up when needed.

it is, but that Python runs in the shell not as a desktop app.
mailman, calender, carddav, teamsserver, jabber and root are all running it

I’ll keep my eyes open ;-)

cheers and thanks
Matthias